Continues global work towards advancing resilience and inclusive growth for customers, employees and communities
BOSTON (April 13, 2023) – At Liberty Mutual Insurance, we exist to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. Underpinned by our conviction that insurance is a force for social good, we are committed to addressing environmental and social challenges while delivering security for our customers, employees and communities.
Given the role we play as an insurer, employer and global corporate citizen, we continue to focus on four areas where we believe Liberty Mutual can make a significant difference mitigating risk. Our progress and milestones were recently published in our annual Sustainability Review and Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) Report. Our focus areas include:
Increase customer resilience by helping our customers adapt to and mitigate the risks affecting their lives and businesses. Resiliency is a core part of our business and is embedded in all of our products and services, including:
- Launching WeatherReady, a new resource that helps customers make their homes more sustainable and resilient to the impacts of climate change.
- Continuing our education and advocacy efforts around the importance of climate resilience for communities.
- Publishing research on challenges and opportunities relative to the finance industry’s role in the climate transition.
Enable sustainable growth by supporting a more equitable and responsible climate transition and helping customers along their own sustainability journeys. Our TCFD report goes into more detail, key initiatives include:
- Developing an impact investing strategy to deliver meaningful societal impact while meeting our long-term investment objectives.
- Launching internal educational programs focused on the many ways we are positioned to help our customers and communities become more resilient.
Improve lives and communities by advancing security, building resilience, and strengthening communities through our work with the Liberty Mutual Foundation. Our 2022 Giving Report highlights how we’re investing in the communities where we live and work, including:
- Collectively, donating $63.9 million and volunteering 108,635 hours.
- Expanding grant giving initiatives focused on climate equity and resilience.
- Providing $5.2 million in inflation grants to address the challenges of the inflationary environment, offering a 10% grant supplement to nearly 500 partners.
Advance Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) by further embedding the work across all aspects of our business, including internal and external initiatives, to increase understanding and representation of underrepresented communities across our global markets:
- Honoring 88 employees through our first ever DEI award.
- Collaboration between our employee resource group (ERG) for Hispanic/Latino employees and Global Retail Markets business unit to better meet the needs of the Hispanic/Latinx community.
- Our ERG Valor@Liberty received an Honorable Mention ERG Impact Award from Seramount for making Liberty Mutual a better workplace for our veterans and current service members.
To learn more about Liberty Mutual’s corporate sustainability efforts, and real-time updates throughout the year, visit LibertyMutualGroup.com.
About Liberty Mutual Insurance
At Liberty Mutual, we believe progress happens when people feel secure. By providing protection for the unexpected and delivering it with care, we help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow.
In business since 1912, and headquartered in Boston, today we are the sixth largest global property and casualty insurer based on 2021 gross written premium. We also rank 78 on the Fortune 100 list of largest corporations in the US based on 2021 revenue. As of December 31, 2022, we had $50 billion in annual consolidated revenue.
We employ over 50,000 people in 29 countries and economies around the world. We offer a wide range of insurance products and services, including personal automobile, homeowners, specialty lines, reinsurance, commercial multiple-peril, workers compensation, commercial automobile, general liability, surety, and commercial property.
For more information, visit www.libertymutualinsurance.com.
Contact: Liberty Mutual Insurance Public & Media Relations