BOSTON (Dec. 2, 2020) – Liberty Mutual Insurance has been recognized by Great Place to Work as one of the 2020 Best Workplaces for Parents, which was determined through employee experience feedback representing 4.8 million U.S. employees across more than 20 industries – the largest annual study of working parents to date.
Liberty Mutual takes a holistic approach to benefits in order to offer support for the evolving needs of all of our employees and provide an environment where everyone can be their best—professionally and personally. Even prior to COVID-19, we offered multiple flexible work arrangements including part time, job sharing, flexible schedules, work from home and alternative worksite arrangements to help employees balance their work and personal lives.
To help employees who have dependents juggle the demands of work and home – which takes on greater importance during this uncertain time when work is home – we provide a wide range of benefits and support programs:
- Eight weeks of parenting leave for all birth mothers, fathers and adoptive parents in addition to eight weeks of short-term disability for childbirth.
- Up to $40,000 for adoption or surrogacy expenses.
- A $45,000 (lifetime maximum) fertility benefit that has no eligibility requirement of infertility for health plan members.
- Up to 20 days bereavement leave for the loss of an immediate family member.
- COVID-19 time off that employees can use instead of flexible time off to record time they need to take for theirs or a family member’s COVID-19 related illness or for COVID-19 related childcare issues.
- Programs to support mental health, which are not “one-size fits all” – including a digital sleep management program, a digital program to help employees manage stress/be more resilient, virtual behavioral health visits, and of course an Employee Assistance Program.
- Virtual parent support groups as well as panel discussions and an online parent discussion forum hosted by our Women and Ally’s employee resource group to address parenting concerns.
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account allows employees, on a tax advantaged basis, to pay many of the expenses – up to $5,000 - that come with caring for a loved one.
- College Savings Plans that offer employees a choice of 529 Plans to which they can contribute.
- College Scholarship Program that provides children of eligible employees with opportunities to be selected for National Merit Scholarship Corporation administered scholarships for college study.
- Leaves of Absence that provide eligible employees with 13 weeks of Family Medical Leave in addition to Personal Leaves of Absence for situations that require extended time away from work.
Great Place to Work selected the Best Workplaces for Parents using its For AllTM Methodology. Eighty-five percent of the evaluation was based on parents’ scores of trust and fairness. The remaining 15 percent was based on how parenting status influenced other aspects of employees’ work experience as well as their experience of the company’s leadership effectiveness, meaningful values, and innovation. Great Place to Work’s analysis also focused on how parents’ workplace experiences compare to those of their non-parent colleagues and determining whether their job level, race/ethnicity or any other personal characteristic changed the level of support they received as a working parent. Finally, Great Place to Work reviewed each company’s parental leave, adoption, flexible schedule, childcare and dependent health care benefits.