July 12, 2022
“At Liberty, we believe that progress happens when people feel secure. And that’s what we offer – security – by mitigating risk, but also helping people get back on their feet after a loss event.”
– Rakhi Kumar, SVP of Sustainability Solutions and Business Integration, Liberty Mutual Insurance
“It’s not a choice between climate mitigation and adaptation. We have to doing both of those things at the same time.” – Kelly Hereid, Director of Catastrophe R&D, Enterprise Risk Management, Liberty Mutual Insurance
“The increasing impacts of climate change really are going to have one of, if not the most, impacts to underwriting approach in the coming years and decades. So, it’s really important that we’re looking into a whole host of items that are impacting our approach.” – Rob Marsh, President, Liberty Mutual Insurance Canada
While most people may not think of insurance when they hear “ESG”, the industry plays an important role in helping solve some of the most pressing environmental and social issues facing the world today.
During a webinar in partnership with GreenBiz, Liberty Mutual subject matter experts from across the organization highlighted the important role that insurance plays in ESG, particularly the environmental space.
The conversation moderated by GreenBiz Group Senior Vice President John Davies featured conversations with Rob Marsh, President of Liberty Mutual Canada; Rakhi Kumar, Senior Vice President, Sustainability Solutions; and Kelly Hereid, Director, Catastrophe R&D on the following:
- The challenges and limitations of today’s climate modeling and data capabilities
- The need for public-private partnership to advance climate resiliency for communities
- The transition risks facing companies and economies as they move to a low-carbon economy
- The collaboration opportunities for insurance and policyholders in advancing ESG initiatives
Listen to the full webinar here.